July 1-31, 2023
603 History Hunt
We are excited to share this fun statewide scavenger hunt that our partners at the New Hampshire Historical Society are presenting. We hope you can participate and learn a thing or two along the way.
This does not earn educational hours.
Visit their website here.
WHAT IS THE 603 HISTORY HUNT?
The 603 History Hunt is a statewide scavenger hunt for the State of New Hampshire. Created by the New Hampshire Historical Society, it is one of several programs and events organized to mark the Society’s 200th anniversary in 2023.
The 603 History Hunt presents to players a series of challenges. There are dozens of challenges players can choose. Some can be completed from just about anywhere in the state, while others are tied to a specific region or location within New Hampshire. Challenges may ask players to complete a variety of tasks, such as film a video, take a photograph, answer a trivia question, scan a QR code, or some combination of these. A point value is attached to each challenge. Players choose which challenges to complete and how many challenges they want to complete, and they earn points accordingly.
Prizes are awarded based on points earned. Throughout the month of July, players can check the Leaderboard to see how they are doing compared to other players.
WHEN IS THE 603 HISTORY HUNT?
This scavenger hunt runs for one month, beginning at 12 a.m. EST on July 1, 2023, and ending at 11:59 p.m. EST on July 31, 2023.
WHO CAN PLAY?
Participation in the 603 History Hunt is free and open to the general public. Players do not need to be members of the New Hampshire Historical Society. Employees of the New Hampshire Historical Society are welcome to participate but are not eligible for prizes.
Participants play as individuals, but feel free to tackle challenges with the help of family and friends. The more the merrier!
Players must be 13 years of age or older. Children under the age of 13 are welcome to participate with an adult.
HOW DO YOU PLAY?
Players participate in the 603 History Hunt via Scavify, a free scavenger hunt app.
You can download the Scavify app by:
- Visiting the Scavify website at https://www.scavify.com/download, or
- Going to the App Store or Google Play Store and downloading it.
The Scavify app can be downloaded to a mobile phone or tablet. Players can also access Scavify through their mobile browser, laptop, or desktop at scavify.com. Please note that many challenges require players to take a photo or video of themselves at a particular place or location and then upload it to the app. Players are responsible for their own technology to participate in the 603 History Hunt.
Once the app is downloaded, players will be prompted to create an account and supply a username and password. After creating an account, search for “603 History Hunt” to join the scavenger hunt. By joining the hunt, players have registered for the 603 History Hunt. No further registration is required, and no additional information will be collected from players.
- For additional information about how to join scavenger hunts on Scavify, please visit: https://www.scavify.com/participant-instructions
Players are welcome to create Scavify accounts at any time, but the 603 History Hunt will not go live until 12 a.m. EST on July 1, 2023.
ARE THERE PRIZES?
Prizes will be handed out at the Ice Cream Social (see below). If prize winners are not present, the Society will contact them to arrange delivery of their prize.
Prizes are awarded in the following categories:
- Kickin’ It Off prize: Highest number of points as of 8 p.m. EST on July 2 (1 prize)
- Halfway Home prize: Highest number of points as of 8 p.m. EST on July 16 (1 prize)
- You Did It prizes: Highest number of points when the hunt ends at 11:59 p.m. EST, July 31, 2023 (3 prizes—first, second, and third places)
DID SOMEONE MENTION ICE CREAM?
All participants are invited to attend a free ice cream social on Saturday, August 5, at 3 p.m. at the New Hampshire Historical Society, located at 30 Park Street in Concord. Enjoy a scoop of ice cream, collect prizes, and visit the exhibits at the New Hampshire Historical Society. Watch for announcements in the Scavify app for more details about the ice cream social, including a registration link for those planning to attend.
DOES IT COST MONEY TO PLAY?
It is free to participate, due to the generosity of our sponsor Merrimack County Savings Bank. This scavenger hunt is not a fundraiser. The New Hampshire Historical Society created it as a way to celebrate the Granite State and to encourage people to explore New Hampshire. None of the challenges require players to pay admission fees, but players are responsible for paying any costs incurred by their participation, including gas, transportation, food, lodging, technology, etc. In addition, if players choose to visit any of the locations they come across during the course of the 603 History Hunt, they are responsible for any associated costs.
RULES AND DISCLAIMERS
Please remember that the purpose of the 603 History Hunt is to have fun and learn more about the state. We encourage all players to participate with these thoughts in mind. We hope players enjoy this activity with friends and family, discover new and wonderful things about New Hampshire, and have a great time!
In addition to the information already provided, please bear in mind the following rules, which we have instituted to keep everyone safe.
- Do not break any laws while participating in the 603 History Hunt. Doing so is grounds for disqualification. None of the challenges involve breaking any laws. If you think you cannot complete a challenge without breaking a law, please don’t! And contact us immediately for clarification.
- Do not venture onto private property to complete any of the challenges. All of them were designed for public places to which people should have easy access, although some of the challenges may require players to visit only during a location’s open hours. Please check a location’s website before visiting to make sure it will be open when you are there.
- Play fair. We want everyone to have a good time and an equal opportunity to complete the challenges. We ask players to keep their competitive instincts in check so they don’t ruin the 603 History Hunt for others.
- All challenges should be completed during the month of July 2023. Please do not upload photos or videos from earlier visits at a location.
- If there are any questions or disputes about players’ participation or the completion of any challenges, the determination made by the New Hampshire Historical Society will be final.
Below is information about some of the types of places players will be asked to visit when completing challenges. Note that participants of the 603 History Hunt will visit all sites and undertake all activities at their own risk. In addition, many of the locations on the 603 History Hunt are of natural and historic importance in New Hampshire or are places of commemoration, so please treat them with respect.
- For more information about cemetery etiquette, please visit: Cemetery Etiquette
- For more information about exploring New Hampshire’s outdoors, please visit: Leave No Trace Principles
- For more information about hiking safety, please visit: Safe Hiking in New Hampshire
- For more information about traveling around New Hampshire with your pets, please visit: Visiting with Your Pets
Please use your best judgment when visiting all locations and completing all tasks.
DISCLAIMER: Players who choose to participate in this scavenger hunt agree to release and hold harmless the New Hampshire Historical Society and Merrimack County Savings Bank from any and all personal injury, death, property damage, or loss incurred while engaged in the 603 History Hunt.
For any questions or concerns, please contact us at:
New Hampshire Historical Society