July 11-15, 2019
We are excited to help out again this year with the Hillsborough Fest & Fair. This weekend event offers something for everyone: carnival rides, stage acts, a variety of food, and more. The Saturday evening fireworks are one of the premier fireworks displays in all of New Hampshire, there’s a parade on Sunday.
There will not be a NHGSA staff member on-site at the Hillsborough Fest & Fair, if you would like to volunteer you can sign up using their volunteer system – there is a place to designate yourself as a GSA: https://signup.com/go/YQGjGdb
When you arrive for your shift, you will check in at the administration table. Our contact for this event is Jon Daley. Jon will make sure that your hours are reported to NHGSA so you can get credit for them.
GSAs will receive hours for this event. It’s a lot of fun 🙂
Please let Emily know if you signed up email@example.com.
HOW TO SIGN UP
1) Review the job descriptions below and decide what you would like to do
2) Click this link to see their SignUp on SignUp.com: https://signup.com/go/YQGjGdb
3) Review the options listed and choose the spot(s) you like.
4) Sign up! It’s Easy – you will NOT need to register an account or keep a password on SignUp.com.
Note: SignUp.com does not share your email address with anyone.
Event Location: Grimes Field, 29 Preston Street, Hillsborough, NH 03244
On-site, free for GSA volunteers, $10 for the general public
Event website for more information, entertainment and activity schedule: NOTE that it is no longer a ‘balloon’ festival. It is a country festival and fair.
GSA Duties Include
Parking Lot Cashier: Handle the cash at the main entrance to one of two parking lots. $10 per car. This job is mostly standing.
- Administration Trailer Set up & General Set up on July 8.
Food Tent Attendant: Keep the food tent area neat and clean, picking up trash off the ground, clearing containers and food off the tables, washing the oilcloth tablecloths, answering questions as needed from visitors, and letting the grounds people know when a trash can needs to be emptied. There are lots of opportunities to get off your feet with this job.
Grounds Cleanup: Empty trashcans, replacing the bags, and also replace toilet paper in the port-a-potties as well as paper towels at the hand washing stations. Gloves are provided. Shifts are flexible. You are needed for about 15-20 minutes out of every hour. There are lots of opportunities to get off your feet with this job.
Parking Lot Attendant: Work in the outer reaches of the parking lot directing visitors to parking spaces to ensure space is used efficiently. This job requires a lot of standing.
- Parking Lot Cashier: As the head parking lot attendant you are in charge of the cash at the main entrance to one of three parking lots. Check in at the administration table 15 minutes before your shift begins and pick up a parking vest and a cashier’s apron with money to get you started. You are responsible for the money, bringing it out with you and then in with you again to the administration table when the next cashier takes your spot. (Though typically Jon Daley will come by and pick up money from time to time). You must be an adult 21 years and up.
Parking Lot Flagger: Working on Henniker Road, you flag people into open lot A (field off of Preston Street) or B (businesses near the old Barrett and Gould plant that Osram now owns) or both keeping the traffic flowing. Check in and check out at the administration table. Be sure to pick up a flag and a parking vest to use while doing this job. You must be an adult 21 years or up.
Administration Table: Answer questions of all kinds about the event, the balloons, and the Hillsborough area, answering performer questions (if any), selling t-shirts, etc. You can sit at this job.
- Road Race Registration / Administration: We are running a 5K road race from Grimes Field to Bear Hill Road and back. We need some people to help the race coordinator/company get runners registered and get results tallied at the end of the race. This is a mostly sitting/standing in one place sort of job.
- Road Race Guides: We are running a 5K road race from Grimes Field to Bear Hill Road and back. We need some people to be stationed along the route to direct runners to make turns at the appropriate locations. (we have had runners get lost sometimes). The police often help out with this task, but the more people available, the better.
A note about Ticket Booth and Bracelet Attendants, from event management: There is one job we prefer that GSAs not register for and that is the ticket booth. We want to provide this opportunity to long-standing local volunteers. There are other jobs where volunteers can sit down frequently as needed – groundskeeping, table clean-up, and the admin table. Groundskeeping and table clean-up require working intermittently and then seeing the fest and going back to the job off and on. If these shifts are unfilled the week of the event, you are welcome to sign up for them.
Come early or stay late to see the festival
All GSAs are eligible to volunteer.
Orientation will happen on-site with event managers.
Please wear your GSA uniform: GSA shirt, khaki pants/shorts/skirts, name tag, and comfortable shoes. In addition, since this event is outdoors, be sure to dress for the weather – layers for cooler mornings and evenings, rain gear as needed, sunscreen, etc.
Event difficulty level varies depending on the job. Generally you will need to be on your feet for part of your shift, but check the specific job descriptions for more details.