Meet Carol White, member of the New Castle Historical Society; ISHRA (Isles of Shoals Historical and Research Assoc.); Friends of Fort Constitution; Friends of Fort Stark
Fort Stark Historic Site is located on a peninsula historically called Jerry’s Point on the southeast corner of New Castle Island. It overlooks the Piscataqua River, Little Harbor and the Atlantic Ocean. Fort Stark was named in honor of John Stark, commander of N.H. forces at the Battle of Bennington (1777). An unmarked walking trail traverses the ten-acre fort site. Please visit with caution! Fort Stark is a former military installation. Beware of dangers of unprotected stairs, high walls, rough ground and slippery rocks. Adult supervision of children is required.
Fort Constitution: Fort Constitution State Historic Site is located on a peninsula on the northeast corner of New Castle Island. It overlooks both the Piscataqua River and the Atlantic Ocean. The grounds provide a casual gathering spot for picnics. In 1791, the State of New Hampshire gave the United States the neck of land on which Fort William and Mary and a lighthouse were situated. The fort was repaired, renamed Fort Constitution and garrisoned with a company of United States artillery. Renovations, which included a wall twice as high as that of the colonial fort and new brick buildings, were completed in 1808. It is the ruins of this fort that are seen today.
Interview recorded in May 2021
To earn hours for watching this video, please fill out the survey here.
Resources: New Castle Historical Society